Re: Europa-List: Re: Battery Questions

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Battery Questions
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 08:32:50

This is an issue I've spent a lot of time on recently as I endeavor to ensure
safe
flight following an alternator failure in my totally electrically dependent
MPEFI engine. Much of that time has been spent on the AeroElectric-list @
matronics
which I've found to be an excellent source of information...particularly
for one who is an electrical neophyte.

One of the things I've learned is that a battery's (available) cranking power
says
nothing about it's ability to provide sustained power when there's a significant
load. Don't assume that just because it could start the engine it has an
ample reserve of amps to be drawn upon.

In my case, the total draw of fuel pump, ECU, fuel injectors, and coils is
between
10 and 11 amps...add to that the draw for minimal components on an endurance
bus (intercom, xpndr, some minimal cockpit lighting, etc.).

At this point as I continue to refine a basic circuitry diagram, among other
things,
I will have 2 Odyssey 680s wired as one, and will replace one at some interval
(either annually, bi-annually, or at some interval as experience dictates)
in order to raise the level of probability that alternator failure will be
a low pucker factor event.

...on this misty morning, a pair of bald eagles taunt me over the sea beyond my
kitchen window,

Fred