RE: Europa-List: Re: Battery questions

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Battery questions
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 16:22:28

As stated by others the charging/ electrical power coils are separate from the
ignition coils - basically as long as the engine is turning there will be power
to the ignition circuit.

We had an instance not so long ago where the ignition switch failed to short out
the ignition circuit and the engine continued to run even though we had switched
everything off. This is the normal arrangement for the majority of aircraft
systems (ie: ignition will function even if the switch fails).  The only way
to stop the engine is to shut off the fuel.

I'm a little puzzled though as to why the Rotax 914 has electric fuel pumps
instead
of the mechanical pump used on the 912 - anyone know the reason for this
- or is a mechanical fuel pump optional.

I had a look at the Rotax brochure on the 914 and the photo would suggest that
a mechanical pump could be fitted if desired.