Re: Europa-List: Re: Battery questions

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Battery questions
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 22:14:48

Alan, Back in 2003 I was flying on my own out to Czech
Republic, and approaching the border there was nothing but
forest from horizon to horizon, and I was thinking what a
bad place it would be for the engine to pack up! This
thought possibly got to my bladder so I got my pee bottle
out from under the left side of my thigh rest and
leisurely sorted myself out. When I was all zipped up and
strapped in again I looked at the panel to find to my
dismay that everything electrical was showing no sign of
life! My two electrical pumps immediately sprang to mind
and I started a rapid check round the panel. I found that
both master and alternator switches were off, having
caught my left trouser bottom on the toggles. I switched
them back on before there was any squeak from the engine
and breathed a very big double sigh of relief!
      Being a public spirited sort of chap I felt I should
own up on this forum to stop anyone else being so dumb and
possibly not being so lucky. One of  the technical whizzes
---From the company answered to say that as long as I had
wired it to the standard instructions the engine would not
stop anyway, and I checked this to be the case on my next
flight.
         I would personally avoid doing any landings out
of trim unless you cannot avoid it. You just need some
other distraction for things to go seriously pear shaped.
Half the ditching deaths in the Uk in the last 22years
were actually due to the pilot losing control and
effectively crashing, almost certainly because they had
suddenly remembered they hadn't got their lifejacket on or
their PLB out of the back, or whatever, and forgot about
flying the plane.
.
Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ