Re: Europa-List: Re: Battery questions

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Battery questions
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 12:16:05

On 10/10/2013 10:33 PM, Alan Carter wrote:

> I much prefer Bobs mechanical pump and if well insulated should
> have no heat problem.

I'm interested to learn how you are going to thermally insulate a
metal fuel pump bolted to a hot metal engine.

Remember that a hot fuel pump is exactly the place where you can
expect vapor lock and/or cavitating. And where it does the most harm
because the pump then works in a void and the fuel flow stops. There
is a reason why the Rotax engineers strayed off the obvious route and
came up with something else...

> and if one buys a 30000 engine it should not be totally
> dependant on electricity,

You'd better get used to it. Fuel injection and fadecs are on the rise
and without doubt will soon every new engine be dependant on
electricity. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

It may have escaped to you that the Rotax alternator has a very
special design. It has no brushes, no moving parts at all that can
fail. It is the very same alternator that produces the electricity for
the spark plugs. In fact, also the 912 is completely dependant on the
very same alternator; without it the spark plugs won't fire and also
the 912 won't fly any further. So, even if you have a mechanical fuel
pump you still have a complete engine stop if this alternator fails.
Luckily, it is quite unbreakable.

> the pumps may be OK but if the Alternator fails

If the alternator fails the spark plugs won't fire anymore, so it
doesn't matter whether the pumps stop.

> If you have a Vacuum drive generator I take it you have no Vacuum
> instrument ??

Vacuum pumps suck. I hope you are not suggesting that vaccuum is more
reliable than electricity?

Frans