RE: Europa-List: Re: Battery questions

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Battery questions
From: Brian Davies <brian.davies@clara.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 09:16:02

Jonathan,

I have been using a Varley Redtop 25 racing battery which is 16AH AGM
(absorbed glass matt).  This is virtually identical spec to the Odyssey
PC680 which many people use for a Rotax 912S.  It has provided perfect
starting for 6 years.  The battery is behind the baggage bay and uses 4
gauge battery cables. I have never seen more than 14.2 volts system voltage
and on a fully charged battery it is mostly at 13.8 volts.

Provided you have good connections and big enough cable, I don't think you
will have any problems with a new Rotax 912S, even with the older starter,
as long as the sprag clutch is in good condition.

Regards

Brian Davies