Re: Europa-List: Cooling issues, once again!

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Cooling issues, once again!
From: Kevin Klinefelter <kevann@gotsky.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 20:03:13

Hi Franz,
No, I do not have the cylinder shroud.
My engine now has 180 hrs. Before these last few flights all my flying was
done at lower, winter, temperatures (I have spent my summers working in
Alaska and decided to leave the plane in the hanger at KBIH till I get more
confidence landing this thing.)
My oil cooler has been lowered from the begining, in fact all has remained
the same except for adding the exhaust wrap and a cabin heater flap off the
back of the cooling duct.
I just got back from flying today. OAT at KBIH was 38c. At 100knots
indicated climb the oil stabilised at 230F and CHT at 245. The temps will go
higher at lower climb speeds, but that is at 100% (not 115%) and 5500rpm.
I can tell that running for very long on the ground at these high OATs will
not be good.

Kevin