Re: Europa-List: Safety improvement list

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Safety improvement list
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 21:29:59

Graham

Trouble with any fixed in line filter is you cannot check it without
disturbing the fuel lines so the rubber hose gets eroded every time it
is removed.
It is also possible to block a filter in one event by pouring dirty fuel
into the tank. (especially if the Purolator is installed back to front :-( )
I think the only acceptable filter is an Andair gascolator. Easy to
check every time by draining a little fuel from the bowl. Won't allow
water through either.
I know we never have trouble with our cars but they either have a very
large filter (with a water drain) and they very rarely get filled up out
in the field miles from anywhere using someone else's scruffy old Jerry can."

***

That is true but if you go Andair (which is a masterpiece itself)

- it takes more time to build
- it is more complex
- heavier
- ugly to instal to the completed plane

If you have two inline filters which are parallel (Europa system) and one is
blocked
the other one is still usable.That is sophisticated! During early days my
main tank filter was blocked (I thought my tank was perfectly cleaned after
building but it was not - there was not Bob H`s dog`s hair but sanding shit)
during
flight. It was nice to switch reserve filter and go on flying.

What happens if your one and only Andair get somehow blocked?

Better to filter and take possible water out BEFORE refueling.
If you have to use "someone else's scruffy old Jerry can" just use MacFunnel.
Maybe there are other brand names also.

I use ALWAYS MacFunnel filter which isolates contaminants and water very
effective.
Water which could condensate to the tank comes out by fuel drains (never seen
water
in that sample).

I am producing a pressure refueling system and there is a very powerful
gascolator

(Rakor Parker S3327 Marine Gasoline Fuel Filter /Water Separator made in USA,
capasitet about 400 litres /hour eg Europas empty tank will be refilled in less
than10 minutes)

When it is ready I am going to introduce it.

Raimo OH-XRT