Re: Europa-List: Safety improvement list

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Safety improvement list
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 20:04:28

Graham,

I did not. You wrote

"the rubber hose gets eroded every time it (a filter)
> > is removed."

That was my point only.
If you change a filter let is say 5 to 10 times during rubber hoses life time,
they do not get eroded at all.
That is surely The Fact.

> It is possible to block the filter in one tank filling

That is of course true. I know it because I have been there.
But NEVER again. Why?

Because I am now a better pilot and

1) my tank is totally clean since that incidense.
2) there will never ever be any contaminants any more in my tank becauce
    a) I use only carefully filtered (by me) unleaded autopetrol (Mogas)
    b) I use only totally clean 100LL which is a self-evident truth (at least in
Finland)

When refueling our planes we have to be very carefull !

For example it (Andair) does not help if we refuel JetA1...I mean it doesnt make
wonders.

I think Europas idea to use two parallel installed inline filters is good.
One for main and one for a reserve tank. It is reasonable.

And - BTW - those in-line filters are also checkable before EVERY flight.
I do it every 5 flight hours (like removing the upper cowling same time also).

Nice to change ideas with you, Graham.

Raimo OH.-XRT from Suomi