Re: Europa-List: Flying and reading glasses?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Flying and reading glasses?
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 19:25:38

>I'm not so keen on progressive lenses.  I had some made a few years
>back and took them up for a flight.  Not being very tall I have to
>stretch my neck to see over the glare shield.  Everything went fine
>until I got into the landing flare.  As the nose of the plane went
>up to flare, I had to tip my head back to see straight ahead.  In so
>doing I was now looking through the bottom of the lenses.......the
>"reading/magnifying" portion, which caused everything to look blurry
>and fuzzy  on the runway

Garry - I am not very tall and now wear bifocals, and I find the same
problem. I have learned to bring booster cushions when I hire an
aircraft, and even more so when I fly in someohe else's Europa.
Getting my head close up to the roof makes a BIG difference in what I
can usefully see.

<hobbyhorse>
I've never liked the idea of varifocals. I can't see how they can
make a continuous change of the spherical component down the lens
without introducing an unwanted cylindrical component.
</hobbyhorse>

regards

Rowland