RE: Europa-List: Flying and reading glasses?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Flying and reading glasses?
From: Rob Housman <rob@hyperionef.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:46:40

OK folks, I've been reading all the replies in re: glasses for near and far
vision
correction but no one has yet to mention the simplest and by far the cheapest
solution.  Yup, that would be contact lenses.  Not only do you get to have
normal peripheral vision which you don't have with glasses of any kind, and
especially
with progressives, but you can get one eye corrected for near and one
eye corrected for distance (aka, mono-vision).  For us older folks, that also
helps with a quick transition from far to near or vice versa since older eye
muscles take longer to accommodate the change. You also can choose from a wide
variety of sunglasses that are far cheaper than prescription sunglasses.

Now, the FAA will tell you that you can't fly with mono-vision (actually you can
and still be legal but only if your vision has been surgically corrected, but
not with contact lenses - go figure!) because the FAA apparently does not
understand
that at any distance further than about arm's length, two eyes are not
needed for perfectly normal depth perception (ask your eye doc).  I learned
to fly (before the FAA changed the rules) with mono-vision so I know it does not
affect depth perception as required for landing (or anything else).  Of course
I need a spare lens for the "near" eye (which in my case is does not require
any correction for near vision) when I take my Class 3 Medical so I can pass
the "two eyes for distance and two eyes for near" vision test, albeit with a
pair of "readers" for near vision.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Irvine, CA