Re: Europa-List: Flying and reading glasses?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Flying and reading glasses?
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 11:55:22

Frans, You are certainly not the first to experience this problem! When
slightly older than you I invested in off the shelf sunglasses with +2
inserts at the bottom, which worked perfectly for map & instrument reading.
As time went on (ie the wrong side of 60), things got to the point where I
needed about +1 for distance vision, so now I have bifocal ordinary specs &
sun specs with prescription distance lens & extra +2 reading bits. The
reading bits are deliberately relatively low on the main lens & with a
horizontal upper margin, (as opposed to a curved upper margin which is more
common on bifocal specs). These work perfectly in the plane, giving all
outside vision unaffected by the reading bits, and panel vision OK on just
moving eyes rather than head.  Best of luck, David Joyce, G-XSDJ