Re: Europa-List: Flying and reading glasses?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Flying and reading glasses?
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 19:11:31

JEFF ROBERTS wrote:

> Frans,
> I believe you are over complicating it.

Love to hear that, but I'm not sure if I understand fully what you mean.

> so I wear my regular bifocals then I buy those ugly cover the

Yes, but I don't have regular bifocals. My "distance" vision is OK.

> In your case you can buy those over the
> counter half a lens reading glasses at strengths that are a compromise
> for reading maps and bringing your panel into view. Then cover them with
> the sunglasses that make you look like a florida retiree. ;o)

I'm not sure what you mean. I don't need the sunglasses for the map
reading part, but for the distance viewing part, which isn't there if I
use over the counter half a lens reading glasses. Or do you mean that I
should glue the sun glas part on the upper edge of the reading glasses?
That could be a fragile construction but nevertheless work, but might
not be what you mean.

What I need is glasses with a neutral upper part (although it could be
nice if they would incorporate my -0.25 cylinder) and a +1 part for the
instrument panel, fully colored by itself or by a sun glas cover. The
upper part of the glasses are indeed just there for the sun glasses
part. For some reason, it seems to be difficult to get something like
that. They either try to sell me a $$$ varifocal thing, with a
transition I think I don't need at all (and even don't have any place
for: the visual distance between the ASI (+1) and the runway (neutral)
is very small, so should be the transition area) or they tell me that it
is not available for these small differences in strength.

Frans