Re: Europa-List: Fuel return line attachment point with 912UL

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel return line attachment point with 912UL
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 20:06:08

Karl and all,

>  I will be installing a FS450 fuel flow gadget, and it calls for
> transducers in the flow and return lines. I am not interested in how
> much fuel is flowing to the engine, I am interested in the fuel
> consumption. And that consumption is the difference between flow and
> return. Have I missed something ?

I've installed an FS450 and dual transducers with great success on a
Rotax 914.
Given the price tag I wouldn't call it a gadget ;-)

The main difference with the normlly aspirated 912S is, the 914 flows a
great amount of fuel to and from the fuel pressure regulator on the
engine, whereas the 912S only returns an unknown and variable, but
presumably limited, fuel quantity to the tank.

The 912S return flow is dependent on RPM (eccentric pump), power setting
(actual fuel consumption), boost pump operation, etc.. so one must
ponder what benefit is expected when installing a single transducer FF.
The proposed schematic may work, but it implies putting the delicate
turbine transducer very close to the engine, in the adverse engine
compartment environment.

Best regards,
--
Gilles