Re: Europa-List: Fuel return line attachment point with 912UL

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel return line attachment point with 912UL
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:10:03

Brian Davies wrote:
> The one disadvantage of the proposed fuel layout is that you will have
> static fuel in the lines to the carbs when the engine is stopped.  In very
> hot conditions you could get fuel vaporisation in this section of the line
> on the ground.  Running the electric fuel pump will not clear it because
> there will be no flow.

As far as I understand, Marcels intention is not to block the return
line, but just not metering the return flow. So there will be no static
fuel in the lines, and the electric fuel pump will clear fuel fapor,
just as with the original lay-out.

The question is, how does ignoring the return flow affect the accuracy
of the fuel flow instrument? It depends on the quantity of the return
flow of course. Is there any data about this? Maybe in the rotax
maintenance manuals?
I can't tell as I have a 914, and a 914 has a different fuel setup with
a very significant return flow.

--
Frans Veldman