RE: Europa-List: Fuel return line attachment point with 912UL

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Fuel return line attachment point with 912UL
From: Brian Davies <bdavies@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:02:33
Karl,

Personally, I would stick to the recommended fuel supply configuration and
fit two Floscan transducers as detailed in the LAA approved mod.  This
ensures a constant circulation of fuel in the length of pipe that joins the
two carbs together and avoids vapor locking as much as possible.  If you are
prepared to accept the slightly increased risk of vapor locking, ( probably
more likely in the future with the changes to Mogas) you could modify the
fuel system as described by Marcel and then you only need one transducer.
My understanding is that this would require a new mod approval but I do know
that a number of aircraft are flying with this arrangement having installed
it under "standard aircraft practice" and they have not reported any
problems.

Regarding the location of the transducers, mine are in the engine
compartment, well wrapped in firesleeve, and have not given any problem.
Again, if you have the option (Trigear) it is preferable to mount them
outside the "hot" area.

The Floscan transducer is also used in marine applications and you can buy
the identical part, at a "reduced" price, from  www.merlinequipment.com  in
the UK. - Still very expensive!

Note that if you are using a FS450 configured for a single transducer you
will have to swap it for a double transducer model.

As usual, you pays your money and takes your choice!

Regards

Brian

  _____