Re: Europa-List: Trouble fitting wing spars to cockpit module

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trouble fitting wing spars to cockpit module
From: Alexander P. de C. Kaarsberg <kaarsber@terra.com.br>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:55:14

R.H. wrote

>As mentioned by others, the bushings in the wings are likely to have
>invisible epoxy deposited on the ID

....and the bolts I got to use to fit the bushes have a smaller diameter
than the pins used for flight-
My bushes ended up close to two mm off, so I redid it, not a big thing
to do at any stage of build, it is now better and polishing the pins and
giving them a better lead-in chamfer helps a lot too along with a drop
of oil. I can now get them in with my bigish deadblow and out by hand
without getting hurt and without helpers...
It seems to me the cockpit module and the spar have different
coefficients of expansion or perhaps it is thermal lag, sometimes it is
a lot harder to rig than others.
Rob, you might enlighten us on the bushes, are they black anodised
aluminium and if so, when removing material from it does it not weaken
considerably?

Alex, kit 529

P.S. How come some kits have an 'a' prefix to the s/n?