SV: Europa-List: Trouble fitting wing spars to cockpit module

Subject: SV: Europa-List: Trouble fitting wing spars to cockpit module
From: Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 20:12:59

Pete,

"Are there any issues with using the wings for this process?"

None, as far as my experience (once only!) goes, except for space.  My
workshop is not long enough, but I was able to "borrow" the living room and
adjacent hall two days for rigging the wings into the cockpit module (which
stands on its firewall-end on the floor during this operation, i.e. the wing
cords are vertical).  The manual is VERY good on how to do everything,
step-by-step, and I was fortunate (considering recent postings on this
issue) that the bushings fit perfectly.  Re-checked fitting the wings after
installing the flight controls and fuel tank in the cockpit module - can
insert and pull out the bolts with hands only, no tools required.

One very good advice was offered a couple of months ago on the Forum:  When
you have the spars in the cockpit module, mark on the inside of the seat
back with a thick black felt pen along the upper and lower edge of the
overlapping spars, and measure the distance from inside the seat back to the
rear side of the starboard spar at several points and write these
measurements on the inside of the seat back.  This will be a great help in
ensuring that none of the pieces you later fit inside the cockpit module
will interfere with the spars.

Regards
Svein K. Johnsen
A225 (now in Norway)