RE: Europa-List: Trouble fitting wing spars to cockpit module

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Trouble fitting wing spars to cockpit module
From: Rob Housman <RobH@hyperionef.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 09:15:30

Although it is possible to do as you suggest the epoxy is not a
thermoplastic material but a thermosetting one, which in even more technical
terms is a cross linked polymer - heating to soften the cured epoxy will
break some of these cross links and significantly degrade the epoxy's
properties.  In short, don't do it.

I too have had the problem with getting the spar pins fitting properly and
have removed the bushings by drilling.  I have yet to replace the bushings
(even in SoCal the "winter" temperature is too low for fast curing) but have
trial-fitted the wings and inserted the spar pins through (obviously
oversize) holes in the seat back and through the spars, so I am confident
that bonding the seat back bushings in place with the wings fitted will
(finally) get things lined up correctly.

As mentioned by others, the bushings in the wings are likely to have
invisible epoxy deposited on the ID, and the factory's dummy spar (of which
I have two - not identical) is not adequate for the job.  There is
considerable excess epoxy on the spars, so much so that I could not get the
spar ends into the spar caps without a lot of sanding to remove the excess.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070