Re: Fuel system questions

Subject: Re: Fuel system questions
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 19:54:24
Graham Singleton wrote:

> >Maybe it is implied in this discussion, but a drain which drains only
> >the external plumbing is effective (and handy), but only when done
> >with the aircraft in a nose-low attitude,
> Fred,
> not quite sure what you meant here?
> My drain plug installation takes the outlet to the back of the tank, the
> lowest point and similar to the Europa factory installation but without the
> long rubber hoses. Its necessary to bond in to the back of the drain elbow
> a length of 1/4 Versatube, bent to reach the bottom.
> Graham

That's very different, then!  Doesn't solve my trigear problem, where
the the pickup tube is at the front, but still leaves about 4 oz. you
can't get at, though visually that seemed impossible.  From testing I
did, about 1/2 of that is potentially hazardous in nose-down attitude
(aka final approach!), but obviously a gascolator of sufficient size
will help a lot.  I did have it installed so it picked up at the back,
appropriate for the monowheel, but I was suspicious that it may not
similarly drain all hazardous amounts of water either.  Has anyone
tested the monowheel installation to make sure?

Regards
Fred F.