Re: Fuel system questions

Subject: Re: Fuel system questions
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 12:07:17
> I have just had a look at your fuel drain, gascolator setup. It looks really
> good. Can you tell me why you didn't go for the Graham Singleton tank fittings
> that drain from a position just out of the tank? Was it because you only
> wanted
> one access hole, not two? Interested in your ideas, but it certainly looks
> good
> on the web!
> Reg
> Tony Renshaw

Maybe it is implied in this discussion, but a drain which drains only
the external plumbing is effective (and handy), but only when done
with the aircraft in a nose-low attitude, as necessary in a
maintenance check.  Even on the trigear, in ground attitude -
preflight style, I measured the potential quantity of water to be
missed at about a quart per side!  It would seem also that, if the
gascolator has a drain and it's mounted sufficiently low and near the
tank, any additional drains are superfluous in a nose-down maintenance
check if enough samples are taken?

Regards,
Fred F.