Re: Fuel system questions

Subject: Re: Fuel system questions
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 16:04:12
Fred

> You have also detected what appears to be the philosophy behind
> current rules for U.S. production aircraft, requiring tank drains,
> drainable sump(s), and gascolator - last line of defense.
            From what I glean from electric Bob, that may not be a superb
thing!

"Many planes> "grandfathered" before the rules as they read now -- no
gascolator if> adequate sump(s) -- are trouble-free.  Some Cessna tank
designs -- gascolator but no separate sumps, have been trouble.  The new
Skylane> is supposed to have something like 16 drain points!
> > Best,> Fred F."
            Well Fred, the two most used machines in my career outside
airlines of course are the NA Harvard(T-6) and the Stearman - both old
stuff, but never had a problem in spite of cached fuels from time to time.
Both have tank drains (Stearman up, Harvard down) anda gascolator - and I've
gleaned water from them regularly - so just figured I'd copy the idea. My
water drains are couple inches below lowest tank site, but the gascolator
enroute to the engine but now low.
If I check all 3 before every flight, I'm hoping to have caught any H2O.
            I could be wrong, I was wrong once before...........
Cheers