Fuel Pressure

Subject: Fuel Pressure
From: Kevin Taylor <kevin@eastyorkshire.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 20:57:59
Folks,

For a while now I have had a problem with My Subaru having an intermittent
fault and running very rough at around 2500 rpm or below. Fundamentally the
engine itself is OK. Compressions etc are fine and it delivers power very
well and is fine in the cruise. Leaning the mixture helps clear the problem
and putting the mix to rich causes the engine to go very sick. To me this
suggests to much fuel rather than not enough!?

I have changed the plugs and ignition leads and mags appear ok.

It has a fuel demand regulator/filter fitted and I want to check the setting
and fuel pressure so I can rule that out. I believe it should be 3-5 psi.
Where can I get a device to measure the pressure in the fuel system. I was
wondering if plumbers use such a device for testing water pump/systems?

There is a standard test on the carb to ensure the diaphragm is functioning
correctly and the carb metering appears fine.

Anyone come across ignition faults causing low/mid range running problems
otherwise I'm thinking the throttle body is favourite .

Any advice appreciated

Regards

Kev T