Re: Stall Warner Kit

Subject: Re: Stall Warner Kit
From: Ken Whiteley <ksw@kenwhit.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 21:18:48
 <000601c29e41$0e3f7da0$ec2c893e@oemcomputer>

In message <000601c29e41$0e3f7da0$ec2c893e@oemcomputer>, Carl Pattinson
<carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk> writes

>Has anyone installed the Europa factory stall warner kit on a classic
>Europa.
>
>We have decided that this is preferable to the stall strips which the PFA
>insists on but a little concerned that we may end up damaging a lovely paint
>job.
>
>Drilling two holes (one from leading edge and one from wing root) in the
>hope that they will meet up seems a little hit and miss though admittedly
>cant think of a better way of doing this. Unfortunately you only get one
>chance of getting it right.

I have done this, but before painting. Without the paint one can indeed
get an indication of where the long tube with the saw teeth has reached.
One obviously drills the hole from the leading edge first. The specified
hole is substantially larger than the tube to be inserted and therefore
gives one some  scope for seeing and manoeuvring the entering tubular
saw. For the long hole one obviously needs someone else sighting the
tube. The important thing is to stop if one encounters resistance. One
also makes careful measurements of what insertion depth will be required
to meet the other hole at the right place. It is a bit fraught but can
be done. The somewhat greater problem is to accommodate the tubing. If
you want to contact me outside the Europa Forum we could discuss this
further.

Ken Whiteley