Stall Warner Kit

Subject: Stall Warner Kit
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 00:49:21
Message text written by "Carl Pattinson"
>Has anyone installed the Europa factory stall warner kit on a classic
Europa.

We have decided that this is preferable to the stall strips which the PFA
insists on but a little concerned that we may end up damaging a lovely
paint
job.

Drilling two holes (one from leading edge and one from wing root) in the
hope that they will meet up seems a little hit and miss though admittedly
cant think of a better way of doing this. Unfortunately you only get one
chance of getting it right.

We would appreciate any advice / comments from anyone who has already done
this mod, thereby increasing our chances success.<

Hi Carl

I have done this mod with another make of stall warner but the installation
process is very similar. I installed the wiring in about 2 hours and did it
as follows:

With a Classic wing you will have solid foam at the inboard end with voids
further outboard. Drill a 3/8" hole in the wing root layup where you want
the wires to emerge (not too close to the front wing pin to ensure strength
is retained). Now make up a drill bit using a length of 3/8" tube and a
3/8" spade cutting bit. The bit will slide into the tube and can be secured
using bondo. The tube length is just enough to reach far enough outboard to
the mounting point. Mount the wing in a stand so that it is leading edge
down. With the aid of a helper sight up the drill bit so that it is
parallel to the wing top to bottom surfaces and slightly towards the
leading edge (this should help ensure you find the forward void just behind
the leading edge). Drill the foam. You will find the solid foam section
gives stability to the tube and you will feel when you get through to the
void. Remove the drill. Drill the fitting hole in the leading edge. Remove
the spade bit from the tube (or find another length of tube) and reinsert
the tube. With luck it should be visible through the leading edge hole.
Insert a length of wire from the wing root end. If necessary retarct the
tube slightly so the wire is visible through the leading edge hole. With
the leading edge down the wire should droop towards the hole. Use a piece
of locking wire as a hook to pull the wire through the leading edge hole.
Remove the tube and you now have the wire installed. You may wish to start
with a thin wire and then use it to pull a thicker wire through.

Nigel Charles