Re: First Flight

Subject: Re: First Flight
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 22:39:58
> I've found on the fixed TD that raising the tail too early leaves insufficient
> rudder authority when there's a crosswind from the left.
> This is inconsistent with the size/expected power of the large rudder.
> I have no explanation.
>
> Duncan McFadyean

I'll give it a try.  Chapter 9 in "Fluid Dynamic Lift" explains it
all, but the only part I can comprehend is the analysis of chord ratio
(rudder to total chord):  effectiveness vs. chord ratio vs.
deflection.  Relatively large rudders cause earlier flow separation on
one side as deflection angle increases.  Plus other factors like
thickness, aspect ratio, and fuselage effect, Hoerner says.

Best,
Fred F.
N3EU