Re: Tailplanes

Subject: Re: Tailplanes
From: europabuilder@ntlworld.com
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:53:29

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Fillinger" <fillinger@ameritech.net>

> Bob Harrison wrote:
> >
> > Hi! Barry.
> > I also tried the ring of loctite on the outside (carefully because you
will
> > have a "bad hair day" if it gets in the main bush,) and only one side
> > ,however keep it/them checked because it could still come loose without
the
> > bulb,  mine did ,been there done that...... also remember that the
phosphor
> > bronze bush is a very effecient heat conductor through to the Redux
holding
> > them in place.
> >  So ever slowly the numbers of people that have this problem is creeping
up,
> > I was begining to think it applied to only a few!
> >

> Is it more than a few?  The original inquiry, and my response, were
> from builders with zero hours yet, and at least mine are fine!
>
> I wonder, though, if both pins have been Loctited, how does one
> introduce heat through the torque tube on the first tailplane to be
> removed?
>
> Is there a consensus as to the cause of eventual looseness?
> Rotational force against the pin in cruise should be zero, without any
> pressure on the stick.  Maybe some turbulent air and helical prop wash
> on the stabs, but is that enough to distort the steel to make the hole
> larger?  Aerobatics then?

Is this true when you consider the mass balance weight?  The fact that the
stick doesn't need anyone holding it and the plane stays level, suggests to
me that there must be a force on the pin to counter balance the mass balance
weight.  This would then make me think that any slight movement on the
tailplane (due to the air), would put quite a lot of force on the pin,
especially if flutter isn't induced.

Cheers,
Mark.

Mark Jackson - 07050 645590