Re: Tailplanes

Subject: Re: Tailplanes
From: europabuilder@ntlworld.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 08:28:57

> Hi! Mark./Fred
>  MARK. I reckon you've made a good observation. Let's face it there is a
> substantial load needed on the control stick at about 18" lever to
activate
> the mass balance weight without the tailplanes fitted, so the weight and
> leverage has to go somewhere  and the pins /TP12's are at a very small
lever
> arm so the weight must be quite high..

I think the load can be experienced by removing both sides of the tailplane
and trying to lift the mass balance by twisting the tube.

> the elongation of the TP12 holes is
> definitely wear not a tear and the amount is so small, it's just the ratio
> multiplication  to the trailing edge that makes for  the measurement there
> substantial. What is your perception of the published maximum opposing
> travel between both trailing edges?

I'm affraid I couldn't answer that, I'm still very new to this aeroplane
building.

> Andy Draper would have me say he is "revisiting the problem and
calculations
> are being done for  3/8" oversize pins to replace the original pins."
> In the meantime I'm progressing with my clamp because with ZERO movement
> there'll be NO wear EVER in that location OR on the TP9.

I would be very interested in seeing what you come up with for the clamp.

Cheers,
Mark.

Mark Jackson - +44 (0)7050 645590
europa-builder@ntlworld.com