Re: Tailplanes

Subject: Re: Tailplanes
From: nigel_graham <nigelgraham@intercept.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:14:19

.................as long as the bolt SHANK is to act as the  shear in both
fore and aft
locations or "double" as you say. If the length isn't sufficient the shear
at the nut end will be taken by the thread .................

Absolutrely right Bob. I don't have my notes to hand, but there is a perfect
AN4 bolt to suite.

........ The clamping action of the
saddles will deplete as it gets further from the bolt...................

Again, absolutely right, but this is intentionally so.
The TP9 / TP12 sleeves can only clamp onto TP4 if they deform (or tend to
deform) SLIGHTLY .
In your "totally surrounded" solution, the clamping force may be so evenly
distributed, that the TP9 TP12 bushes are prevented from distorting and thus
don't clamp onto the TP4 Torque tube. You may find that you need to cut
expansion slots lengthways on the TP9 & TP12 bushes to get them to clamp
properly (and I personally would not do that).

.................... although not having any internal supports to the TP4

TP4 on the other hand, must not be allowed to deform at all - especially in
the area adjacent to the bronze bushes, since this could introduce some
friction in the pitch control. That is why I introduced the supporting
"Discs" .....and would recommend them for your system.

Cheers

Nigel