Re: Lower cowl temperatures

Subject: Re: Lower cowl temperatures
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:15:16
Hi John,

   Our molten tie wrap was on the stb firewall next to the oil reservoir, some
distance from the exhaust components.
   We removed our '914 turbo inlet' duct and glassed over the hole. It is not
clear what effect it might have if it were there.
   We have had our oil cooler lowered to a staggered position from the
beginning, and still have some cooling problems on the ground. We have also
faired in the lip of the cooling duct inlet, added an aluminum lip to the
bottom, rear, of the cowl, and provided a ramp at the radiator inlet to try to
improve flow on the ground, with very limited success. We are still looking at
this one.
   We cut back the rear, upper surface of the aluminum cooling duct, about 6
inches. With only a slight improvement in lower cowl temps. It would appear
that any increased cooling air flow simply went across the top of the engine,
down the back side, and out the increased exit area provided, bypassing the hot
exhaust areas. This extra outlet area is probably  necessary for good cooling,
it just wasn't enough change, on its own, to make a big difference.
   The upper cowl louvers don't seem to help much, and may in fact be counter
productive. We have taped over three of the four openings in each with no
noticeable rise in upper or lower cowl temps. There is little heat source in
the upper cowl area, compared to the lower cowl's exhaust system. Passing air
---From the eye ball vents adjacent to the spinner through to the upper cowl
louvers cools an already cool upper cowl area, leaving the lower cowl area to
bake.
   One of the largest contributers to lower cowl temperatures seems to be the
exhaust pipe hole in the port side of the lower cowl, and the effects pitch and
yaw have on it., changing it from a lower pressure outlet one moment to a
higher pressure inlet the next. This effect, during the transition from climb
to cruise, causes a rise of 150 deg F in the lower, right cowl area.

Terry Seaver