RE: Tailplanes

Subject: RE: Tailplanes
From: Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:14:22
Hi! Nigel.
Seems good to me( not that I'm purporting to be any authority, simply IMHO!)
as long as the bolt SHANK is to act as the  shear in both fore and aft
locations or "double" as you say. If the length isn't sufficient the shear
at the nut end will be taken by the thread which will also be a smaller
diameter  resulting in any movement initially being taken on one shank
diameter only should the friction not be enough. The clamping action of the
saddles will deplete as it gets further from the bolt.
Our clamp system, although not having any internal supports to the TP4 Tube
sides of the central assembly and will stiffen the central portion of the
TP4 Tube outboard both sides to encompass about 1/4" of the inboard end of
each TP12 Drive Plate Bush. Our clamps don't change the initial design
(except the slight shortening of the nylon bushes TP10's so unlikely to need
Modification Approval (watch this space!!!!)
Regards
Bob H  G-PTAG