Re: Lower cowl temperatures

Subject: Re: Lower cowl temperatures
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:48:30
Goldyfire@cs.com wrote:

> Which exhaust system is this the Heggerman or Falcon?
> Derek 167

Our first exhaust system had muffler with an oblong cross section, with
a slip ring interface to the header pipes. The small retaining springs
in this system failed in the first 3 hours after first flight, allowing
the muffler  to drop away from the header pipes, dumping high amounts of
CO (~200 ppm) into the cabin.
About 80 hours ago we installed a newer exhaust system with oblong
muffler and a ball joint interface to the header pipes, which lasted
about 60 hours before the springs could no longer hold the muffler tight
to the headers, allowing it to drop down, as before.

Terry