Re: Tailplanes

Subject: Re: Tailplanes
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 12:55:47
Bob Harrison wrote:

> Hi! Barry.
> I also tried the ring of loctite on the outside (carefully because you will
> have a "bad hair day" if it gets in the main bush,) and only one side
> ,however keep it/them checked because it could still come loose without the
> bulb,  mine did ,been there done that...... also remember that the phosphor
> bronze bush is a very effecient heat conductor through to the Redux holding
> them in place.
>  So ever slowly the numbers of people that have this problem is creeping up,
> I was begining to think it applied to only a few!

Is it more than a few?  The original inquiry, and my response, were
---From builders with zero hours yet, and at least mine are fine!

I wonder, though, if both pins have been Loctited, how does one
introduce heat through the torque tube on the first tailplane to be
removed?

Is there a consensus as to the cause of eventual looseness?
Rotational force against the pin in cruise should be zero, without any
pressure on the stick.  Maybe some turbulent air and helical prop wash
on the stabs, but is that enough to distort the steel to make the hole
larger?  Aerobatics then?  Or is it in starting the engine, or turf
bouncing on the monowheel, or engine runup in high winds from a
certain direction on the tri-gear?  I have peeked back at the latter
effect on my AA-5, and it ain't pretty.  Maybe just in how the holes
were drilled?  The manual method was not approved by the Director of
Acceptable Methods in my one-man shop.  I hand-enlarged them to a snug
1/4" with hobby tools, and I question the manual in stating it doesn't
matter that they're drilled off- center.

Regards,
Fred F.