RE: Tailplanes

Subject: RE: Tailplanes
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 01:17:19

>Bob,
>
>Very interested in the clamp system as it sounds less 'final' even with the
>possibility of heat release (note Duncan McFadyean's reservations/
>observations). Do keep me posted as at present the 'plane is in the garage
>ready for work on it and I hope to get it back on Kidlington airfield by
>Easter.
>Peter D

There is another way, but not easy. I made a set of expanding pins once,
using the soft 1/4" stainless tube. Bored tapered holes in the ends, made
tapered sleeves to fit inside and squashed the whole lot up with long AN 3
bolts. It worked beautifully but they were very tricky to insert. I didn't
fancy trying to retro fit by crawling down the back.

I will never agree with a certain friend of mine for insisting that
inspection holes at the back were not essential.

Graham