RE: Europa-Fuel contents

Subject: RE: Europa-Fuel contents
From: Alan Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:24:13

I've installed Jerry's fuel contents gauge in my Europa. It was a little
tricky
to fit, as has been stated.

However, it works perfectly and gives me enough information to know when I'm
close to running out. I would say within +- 5 minutes once the mechanism is
understood.

In my view, I want to know approximate rate of fuel consumption and
consequently
maximum endurance, minus a reserve quantity. In this regard the gauge
exactly meets my
requirement.

I had an incident a few years back when I falsely believed the reading from
capacitance style fuel guage (it had shorted somewhere and stopped at 1/4
full !).

There are of course, other ways of working out how much fuel is remaining
(for
example 'time since full') which are reasonably accurate and now I place far
greater emphases on these. In fact, with my 'unpredictable' sight gauge,
this
was my primary means of calculating endurance for over two years, and it
worked
pretty well, even for flights of nearly four hours.

Alan