RE: Europa-Fuel contents (Transducer Type by Tony K)

Subject: RE: Europa-Fuel contents (Transducer Type by Tony K)
From: Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:32:56
Hi! All.
I can confirm that it is working satisfactorily to date .I had the idea to
calibrate it initially with my Long ranger tank in circuit which is two
inches higher "HEAD"(APROX) which needed a connection into the bottom of the
fuel circuit for calibration only ( I'm pretty sure the increased "head"
isn't reflected across the siphon of the long ranger tank into the main
tank) Then having done this calibration and made suitable marks to the right
hand side of the LED display, I then "back calibrated" the main tank without
the long ranger tank connected but with marks to the left hand side of the
LED display. Hence I have two readings one ... maintank only with reserve in
hand... the second with longranger tank connected and siphoning into the
main tank with reserve in hand.
I am currently testing the time flown with the long ranger tank and am onto
two hours this leaves me a flight to do close to the field of about 90
minutes , with breath held at a good height under my belly ! ( of course it
will be imperative to ensure that the siphon is started at every refuelling
and ideally before every flight)
The system seems to be reliable and is well damped for turbulent flying  the
red display in sunlight could do to somehow be "not opaque" but clear ( I
don't know if that is technically possible with LED displays?) Tony K will
need to apply more idiot proof /computer novice proof instructions onto the
chip for the computer calibration (it is vital to have the right computer
connections "enabled"), also the calibration must only start
at the top of the highest tank level otherwise the height of the filler pipe
takes 50% of the range available , being about 18" above the tank full
level.( the transducer pressure sensor[self supplied] actually measures the
"Head" of the fuel above the position of the sensor.)
Tony K was applying his thoughts to a couple of small problems .... a) the
top LED bar isn't used at present..... b) the tank is EMPTY when there is
one LED bar lit.
I hope Tony K will forgive me for publishing these details in advance of a
communication to him !
I did have a problem  with the location of the self supplied housing box
since it needs to be very close to the sensor which in turn is connected to
the water test line of the port side of the tank, and in my case since all
the fuel pipes, gascolator, fuel switch and rudder cables pass through the
tunnel of the XS type cockpit module the area is "VERY BUSY" as per Andy
Drapers terminology! It also is necessary for the rear side of the tranducer
to be connected to a static air vent .  (Don't ask...... what happens with
any form of inverted flight ! but I guess the fuel level would be the last
thing on your mind during the execution !!!!)
Best regards
Bob Harrison  G-PTAG  337 Europa MKI Trike/Jabiru 3300
PS ... Yes, Graham, Bob's certainly within the "NOVICE/IDIOT" context
mentioned above !!!!!(on this one anyway ???)