Capacitive fuel gauges.

Subject: Capacitive fuel gauges.
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:05:56

>> This is not so, it's the opposite that happens, capacitance gauges are
used
>>on large aircraft because they do show actual contents, e.g. the mass of
the
>>remaining fuel which is what you need to know.

>This works well on large aircraft because jet fuel is very consistant.
Auto
>fuel (as is used on many Europa's) is not nearly as consistant, and if you
>are switching between auto and 100LL then the capacitance gauge is much
>worse off!

Cheers, but I don't know about the latter comment. Yes, jet fuel is very
consistent - but about one in ten trips required a change in fuel type,
account what was available/cheapest per BTU. Our company preferred gasolene,
but when in Rome..............
            Never was the trip that critical that a HowGoZit chart didn't
keep us right on track for fuel - and that's what I think we should be
using - a chart that shows contents versus time - right down to the zero.
Doesn't really matter the specific power content, -  if it's running down
faster than one plans - do something.........
Fuel is just the same as earth below you - neither should run out before you
land.
Good 2002,
 Ferg A064