Re: Tie-downs

Subject: Re: Tie-downs
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:11:21

> Message text written by "Bob Harrison"
> >Just one problem ... the wind direction is going to change , "Murphy
says"
> >and unless you are in a tent with a weather cock device to tug at your
toe
>> things may not be too stable on your return?<<
>
> Things will be as stable as they would be if the tie down had be into wind
> in the first place. I am just suggesting that it may be better to start
off
> with no lift loads on the aircraft. There is obviously no substitute for
> keeping a regular check on the METARs and TAFs and not leaving the
aircraft> unattended if the weather starts to deteriorate.    > Nigel
Charles

Quite agree..... but I've always found with light aircraft that the more
important task is fixing the controls so they don't thrash in the wind. In
heavy winds, I've borrowed a two by four to lash to the lift portion of the
wing - but that's only useful if you've snubbed the ailerons, stabs and
rudder down to stop them eating themselves.
Ferg
A064