Re: Flying: Performance: Speed kit.

Subject: Re: Flying: Performance: Speed kit.
From: LTS <lts@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 14:46:07
I get very different results on different days. Even taking everything back
to Flight levels I still get variations. The best figures seem to be
achieved on cold days when pressure is high. Last weekend I was flying with
a QNH of 1040 and my speeds were about 5kts better than normal with the same
fuel flow.

The Rotax 912 has a faster spinning prop than the 912S and is more likely
benefit in cruise speed with two blades. In our experience the 912S is not
quite as much faster as you would expect, quite probably because the gearbox
ratio is greater and the prop is less efficient at high aircraft speeds.

I don't know about the 914 but if it has the smaller gear ratio I think
it'll be better for speed than the 912S.

Jerry
                      LTS@avnet.co.uk
           www.avnet.co.uk/touchdown