Re: Flying: Performance: Speed kit.

Subject: Re: Flying: Performance: Speed kit.
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 16:49:37
> Perhaps I missed the point when this thread was opened.  For me, whether the
> speed kit produces 1 mph or 5 mph is of little significance or concern.  Any
> reduction in drag is usually produces multiple benefits.  Some barely
> measurable.  Whether a little, or a lot, its worth doing.
>
>     Jeff

Plus they look cool, but can't agree totally as to the wing flap
hinges ('cept the big mess at the outboards).  Just doing scratch-pad
math, from the book on drag, make the fairings too wide in frontal
area and they could slow her down a bit.  The 1/8" thick flap hinges
just will not have much adverse effect (drag coeff. about 1.0).  A
fairing's drag is its frontal area, multiplied by its drag
coefficient, and too wide requires an good aerodynamic design just to
break even.

Regards,
Fred F.