Re: Flying: Performance: Speed kit.

Subject: Re: Flying: Performance: Speed kit.
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 21:24:58
Alan Stewart wrote:

> Speed kit: Cruise improvement to standard Europa.
> My initial conclusion is therefore that the speed kit has improved maximum
> cruise by around 3-5 mph in my aircraft, a bit of a disappointment if
> confirmed.
> (the lower end of my expectation).

Not too surprising.  On my AA-5, the book penalty for no wheel farings
is 2 MPH, and that's about right.  They're big, add a lot of wetted
area, and not laminar; gain is net.  The factory speed kit for the
tri-gear I saw at Oshkosh looked more decorative than aerodynamic
(e.g., open at rear on the flap hinges - bad).  I agree with Graham,
though, that on a slick airframe, the benefit potential is greater
than on a relatively dirty one like my AA-5.  If real, tested
aerodynamic designs, rather than a cover which only appears to smooth
out the flow.  Neither Europa nor I have a wind tunnel, but I still
made my own.

Regards,
Fred F.