Re: Flying: Performance: Speed kit.

Subject: Re: Flying: Performance: Speed kit.
From: LTS <lts@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 16:38:28
The main causes of drag are the frontal area and drag from the aerofoils
(wings and tailplane). The bits that stick out contribute a little then
changing their drag coefficient does not have a big effect. I discussed with
Michel COLOMBAN the merit of putting fairings around the Ban-bi flap
brackets. He felt I would actually get a better return polishing the paint
surface of the wing to remove any orange peel. Although the change in
coefficient from polishing would be small the proportion of drag attributed
to the wing is large and a small % change on a large feature would be quite
noticeable. (Tailplane is now polished wings still to go)

Jerry
                      LTS@avnet.co.uk
           www.avnet.co.uk/touchdown