Flying: Performance: Speed kit.

Subject: Flying: Performance: Speed kit.
From: Alan Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 15:29:14

Speed kit: Cruise improvement to standard Europa.

A few months ago, I decided that it would be interesting if I accurately
assessed the
performance of my aircraft both before and after fitting of the "speed kit"
wheel and
flap fairings supplied by the company.

Tentative results, based on just one triangular route flown at maximum
continuous cruise
RPM of around 5500 (Flydat) has produced a TAS of 154 mph, after fitting of
the kit.

My previous figures for 5500 RPM, taken in November gave results of 149 mph
and 151 mph respectively (prior to fitting the kit).

My initial conclusion is therefore that the speed kit has improved maximum
cruise by
around 3-5 mph in my aircraft, a bit of a disappointment if confirmed. (the
lower end of
my expectation).

This figure is obviously provisional. Later this week I'll perform further
runs, which may
confirm or contradict the initial figure. With a light aircraft and more
forward C of G this
time, I'm keen to make the comparison as fair as possible.

I'm keen to produce a definitive set of figures for my Mark 1, Mono Europa
with
912, standard fixed pitch WD prop and plenum mod.

Alan

NB. For all tests the Flydat measured RPM was actually within the range
5510 - 5540.
Windspeed at 1100ft AGL on the test today was calculated at 70 degrees and
16 mph.
(this concurs with
http://www.meto.gov.uk/aviation/tafmetar/images/F214_1218.gif
briefing chart which gives around 80 degrees and 15 knots for the area)

Alan. D. Stewart

14 Goddard Way                                 'phone : +44 1245 264186
Chelmer Village                                mobile : +44 7801 287886
Chelmsford, Essex CM2 6UR                      email  :
alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk