Re: 914 - overhaul?

Subject: Re: 914 - overhaul?
From: Peter Zutrauen <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:29:27
This raises a couple of questions for me....

I assume that these engines were the U/L type and not certified? The reason
I ask because I was told by our FBO (which rents Katanas), that the rotax
engines are not rebuilt to zero-time but that the core is thrown out and
only all the ancillary parts are re-used.

Was that an untruth? Or are these rotax engines "0-timed" with new engine
blocks, internals & heads?

If not an untruth, then my second question would be why the certified rotax
engines could not be "0-timed" re-using most of the engine as they due with
Continentals etc. ?  If the non-cert'd engines are not rebuilt to the same
standard as the cert'd engines (ie: re-use of the internals), is there any
obvious risk of reliability problems?

Confused,
Pete
A239