Re: Flying: Performance: Speed kit.

Subject: Re: Flying: Performance: Speed kit.
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 00:38:53
>The main causes of drag are the frontal area and drag from the aerofoils
>(wings and tailplane). The bits that stick out contribute a little then
>changing their drag coefficient does not have a big effect.

Jerry,
I am not convinced by your argument. IMHO with low drag aircraft like the
Banbi and Europa the interference drag of things like the flap hangers,
undercart and particularly cooling drag, forms a bigger percentage of the
total than on more common aircraft like C 152s etc that already have a
large built in headwind. Consequently the reduction gained with small
fairings can have a bigger effect than would otherwise be expected.
Detail improvements like these have an even bigger effect on high
performance gliders. Wish I was building a Europa with glider wings? Can
you persuade Christoph there is a significant market for motor gliders?
Graham