Re: Flying: Performance: Speed kit.

Subject: Re: Flying: Performance: Speed kit.
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 04:20:06
Message text written by Tom & Cathy Friedland
>However, if the manufacturer provides the prop, spinner and backing plate,
dynamic balance at the factory should be very close to perfect.
<

This may be the case with the XS spinner but the Classic used a GRP spinner
and front/backplates which were most certainly not balanced at the factory.
If we are certain that the XS system is perfect then this may become only a
Classic issue however as there are at least 4 makes of prop out there at
the moment it wouldn't surprise me if some XS Europas might benefit from
dynamic balancing as well. Over the next few months there are three of us
who will be going ahead with prop balancing, one NSI prop with Classic
spinner, one Airmaster prop with XS spinner and one Kremen prop with XS
spinner so this should provide a good cross section of types. Even if only
small corrections are required it may pay dividends in the future. If we
find that only the Classic spinner needs balance corrections then it is
likely that it won't be necessary for most XS spinners. My Classic spinner
is pretty good and should not need much correction but I know that this
spinner is very dependant on accurate alignment on initial installation.
Mine was good partly due to Graham Singleton's carbonfibre backplate and
John Scott's frontplate.

Regards

Nigel Charles