Re: Flying: Performance: Speed kit.

Subject: Re: Flying: Performance: Speed kit.
From: ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 08:46:46
Hi! Mike.
MT Propellers ,in my case supplied the propeller
kit fully balanced, however they insisted that to
maintain warranty conditions it must be supplied
back to them within 50 hours for strain gauge and
dynamic balance tests with the particular engine
combination to identify any resonant RPM's over
the full range of operation.
This now completed a "non-flying" peak resonant
range between 2150 rpm and 2400 rpm has shown to
be present, and they are recommending not to
cruise in that range if possible.
I guess if I can't live with that it means
another trip back to the factory for flight
testing to try to narrow the non- useable range.
The point about this is that simple balance isn't
the full story and  further strain gauge testing
needs to be carried out to do the job in a
professional manner. Only with that test can it
be established what crankshaft oscillation is
taking place, allowing you to select the most
engine /propeller friendly flying.
Best regards
Bob Harrison
G-PTAG  Europa MKI /Jabiru 3300

Quoting DuaneFamly@aol.com:

> Please excuse a dumb question.
>
> How do you know you have an out of balance
powerplant setup? If it is
> "really" out and you start the engine, can you
do damage before being
> able to
> shut it down?
>
> Mike Duane, San Jose (soon to be Redding)
California

> The Europa List is supported by Aviators
Network UK - info@avnet.co.uk

This mail sent through UK Online webmail