Re: Flying: Performance: Speed kit.

Subject: Re: Flying: Performance: Speed kit.
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 12:15:28
> Hi! Pete
> I must confess I expected the six cylinder to be
> free of this problem but when you stop and think
> it's quite obvious that a geared installation
> wouldn't suffer this problem or at least not
> directly .
> Regards
> Bobn Harrison  G-PTAG
> PS. Perhaps Tony K needen't be so shy and advise
> the forum which of the other CS props had a
> similar problem?  Come on Tony it's technical
> info that we all need to know and of a safety
> nature not knocking the competition.

Let's call it potential safety, Bob, as for perspective there's no
problem yet indicated in U.S. accident stats.  For years 98-00, there
were 207 accidents (in homebuilt fixed-wing, powered airplanes) due to
mechanical failure, 16 due to prop failure.  Nine involved auto
conversions or 2-strokes, ranging from failures of drive belt,
redrive, bolts, or crankshaft.  The other 7 were real A/C engines.
Six Lycoming/Continental incidents re prop installation/maintenance
issues.  The other a 912, where on a pusher config, an exhaust pipe
departed through the prop arc, a likely maintenance issue.  Occurred
at cruise, and 2 of 3 composite blades departed, no engine damage,
minor injuries on forced landing.  The 912 drive case/crank flange
appear rather rugged?

Conversely, no reported accidents 98-00 involving prop/redrive
problems on Rotax 91X, on hence a thousand+ flying examples here of
the engine/prop combos we're installing.
 And before someone asks, only two even possible 91X failures this
period, but no apparent mechanical reason, one in circumstances
suggesting mere stall/spin.

Regards,
Fred F.