FW: Flying: Performance: Speed kit.

Subject: FW: Flying: Performance: Speed kit.
From: Chuck Popenoe <cpops@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 17:43:37

-----Original Message-----
Subject: RE: Flying: Performance: Speed kit.

Hi Duncan-

Whoever said that geared reductions are free from resonance's?  On my
Avid Flyer I have a 3.2:1 reduction driving a 60" prop.  I have had
two (2!) crankshafts break on me in flight due to torsional resonance.
The last one occurred even after my implementing a torsional vibration
isolator, with an added flywheel.  I believe that geared reductions can
exacerbate torsional resonance problems by multiplying the inertia of
the prop by the gear ratio.  I, for one, would love to have knowledge
of which rpm ranges to avoid!

Pops
A036