RE: Fuel routings

Subject: RE: Fuel routings
From: Nick Hammond <nick.hammond@saabsystems.com.au>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 05:59:20
Fergus,

>Can we discuss the pros and cons of pumped
>fuel to the selector versus pumps following it?

Some thoughts:

o        If the pumps come before the selector then you will need to fit stop
valves in the lines to the pump (or drain the tank before doing any
maintenance such as pump replacement or changing pump filters).

o        Placing of pumps aft (below baggage bay) allows reasonably easy
access and will help with CofG. (It also allows the gascolator to be at the
lowest point of the system which a number of people who have contributed to
the fuel system debate have mentioned as important. Personally, I don't
follow their logic: if all of the fuel going to the engine passes through
the gascolator, it will be able to perform its function of separating water
and foreign matter no matter at what height it is mounted.)

o        I have 3/8 aluminium lines routed from the tank outlets forward to
the selector (mounted in the standard position), then aft to pump and
gascolator, then forward to a firewall bulkhead connection. There is room to
spare for this configuration as the aluminium lines take up much less space
and can be routed much more neatly than hose.

o        Not sure I follow your argument about two routes for pumped fuel.
The routes are going to have to come together somewhere and, unless you
start adding weight and complexity in the form of NR valves, you are still
going to have a single point of failure. A single 3/8 line has heaps of
capacity for any engine which could safely be fitted into a Europa. If you
are worried about pump redundancy, you could fit a dual pump arrangement
like the one illustrated on Tony K's web site. Don't forget the KISS
principle.

o        Also don't think I share your views on the need for hose couplings
which contribute more weight and more sources of failure. The structure is
actually quite stiff once things are bonded together and there seems to be
no way that relative movement could flex a line anywhere remotely close to
its yield point (even noting someone's recent and a bit over-the-top
description of the fuel tank as a "plastic bag"). Of course, you need to
route the lines sensibly and give them reasonable lengths for flexing
between any points (e.g. tank and selector) where there may be any relative
moement.

Best regards,

Nick Hammond
XS Monowheel 418