RE: Fuel routings

Subject: RE: Fuel routings
From: Nick Hammond <nick.hammond@saabsystems.com.au>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 08:47:55
Fergus,

>> gascolator, then forward to a firewall bulkhead connection. There is
>> room to spare for this configuration as the aluminium lines take up
>> much less space and can be routed much more neatly than hose.
>            Right. Are you using the XS cockpit console (reduced
>dimensions)? I suspect your single alum. feed line to engine goes along
port
>top of the console (opposite the flap rod). Where does it exit the
firewall,
>because the frame enters top outside corner I believe? Also not sure of
>yours but my engines sends unused fuel back to starboard tank. (see Wilksch
>website for flypast movies). I may reroute this along under starboard
>windowsill.

Yes - standard XS console. Haven't yet installed the line to the engine but
planning to bond it to the floor through the aft section of the tunnel and
work out the best routing in the landing gear area once I install that. I
have a spare 1/8 NPT port on the starboard tank outlet, currently plugged.
Am planning to fit a Jabiru 3300 and haven't yet discovered whether a fuel
return line is necessary. If it is, will route parallel to the engine feed.

>> o Also don't think I share your views on the need for hose couplings
>> which contribute more weight and more sources of failure. The structure
is
>> actually quite stiff once things are bonded together....."
>            Thing is, I want to build lines in before it's all together and
>stiff.... I have discovered the cockpit module is too flexible beforehand
>be sure the outlet-selector lines are the proper length (presently doing
>this with the module standing on its nose.....)

I had the same problem. A good way to fix it is to install temporary 323mm
wooden spacers between the baggage bay forward bulkhead and the seat back
plus the single ply straps recommended in Tech-Talk issue 21 (page 16).
Together these stop any serious movement and the straps are essential anyway
to maintain the proper spacing when you bond in the module. (BTW Uni works
better than Bid for the straps)

Best regards,

Nick

>P.S: wonder where you are as have been to OZ, Perth, Edlide, Milbun and
>Seedny but hope to explore more fully in early'02......
Adelaide -- if you are coming this way, please drop me a line. Plenty of
light planes being built here but only two Europas, John Baker's Classic
which has been flying for a couple of years and my partially built XS.